Monday, January 26, 2015

ARC Review: I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios


Title: I'll Meet You There

Author: Heather Demetrios

Rating: 4.5 Stars

Release Date: February 3rd, 2015

When it comes to Heather Demetrios, I've come to expect that my expectations will be blown out of the water. It doesn't matter just how outrageously excited I may be for her novels to release and, believe me, even the hype can't ruin the feeling of finishing a Demetrios novel--that click when it feels as if a small part of the world--and yourself, in the process--is repaired,without even realizing it needed fixing. I'll Meet You There is not only a profoundly realistic, human tale; it's one that transcends boundaries, particularly those invisible ones the YA genre feels all-too-trapped in.

I'll Meet You There is slow to start and open to end--just the way I like it. In fact, the magnitude of this novel is at a low simmer when you first begin to read until, suddenly, you're embroiled in the tension; it crept on you. Skylar and Josh, the protagonists of this tale, are, from the surface, far from "likable" people. And, as Demtrios builds the fictional town of Creek View, it isn't difficult to see why. The women of Creek View typically find themselves pregnant at seventeen, living and raising their children on a trailer park only to see history repeat itself, generation after generation. Skylar, though, has one foot out of Creek View already and after the three hot, sticky summer months, she'll be in art school, determined to never look back. When her mother loses her job, however, and spirals into depression, it seems as if Skylar is forced to plant both feet firmly back into Creek View, despite the fact that it's the last thing she wants to do. Josh, on the other hand, left Creek View--and returned, only this time, only with one leg. After joining the Marines, his ticket out of Creek View, Josh changed--drastically. No longer the drunk womanizer who curses and plays pranks, war has left Josh hurting. Although he quickly falls back into his old ways, the unexpected friendship he strikes with Skylar reveals that there is far more to him than his persona may suggest.

Demetrios has a way with words, one that leaves you feeling. Just feeling. About everything. From the despair that settles over Skylar's shoulders as she contemplates a life stuck in Creek View to the horrors of war that play behind Josh's eyelids every time he blinks, it's impossible to crack open the spine of this story without endangering your heart to fictional characters in the best possible way. Skylar and Josh's romance is slow to develop, as it should be with two such opposite, angry, and deeply pained protagonists. What makes Skylar and Josh so perfect for one another is the fact that they take the time to see beneath the veneer, have the patience to wait until the time is right, and are willing to lend the ear needed to peel off the paint. Yet, their slow transition from acquaintances to friends to more is interspersed with dialogue, banter, jokes, and fights. Neither Skylar nor Josh are perfect and their flaws are apparent, bleeding through every page, but it is those very same qualities which render them such poignant characters.

Moreover, despite their flaws, they are both characters who straddle the line between "likable" and "unlikable," proving that there's so much more to them than just black-and-white. Skylar is strong-willed and ambitious, but those qualities also emphasize her weaker moments where her loyalty seems to shift towards selfishness versus selflessness. Josh, too, with his moments of guilt and helplessness shows, all too clearly, that there is substance to him beyond his past actions but that his future is tied up with his past, particularly Afghanistan, and moving on means moving past not only his perceptions of himself but those of others as well. Despite the fact that I've grown up in a town that's the antithesis to Creek View, despite the fact that I've always seen my mother as a pillar of strength and inspiration and never as a burden or disappointment, despite the fact that I've never known the struggles of war; despite all that, I still felt deeply for these characters and connected with them on a purely personal level.

What's more, I'll Meet You There  has a stellar cast of secondary characters whose personalities, goals, hopes, and dreams are far removed from that of either Skylar or Josh. Dylan, for instance, Skylar's best friend, won't be leaving Creek View and at one point in the novel, she completely calls Skylar out for acting as if staying back is the lesser option. Dylan and Skylar's friendship is rock solid but I think it's also demonstrative of so many close friendships in high school where college means that one person in a former duo is going farther. It happened to me--I'm the one who left in my friend group--and, much like Skylar, I admit to being ecstatic at the choice to leave my hometown. But, that doesn't quite make us better people and I love that Dylan's perspective grounds Skylar, making her appreciate the options she has without looking down upon the existence others have chosen to live.

I'll Meet You There is told primarily from Skylar's perspective but there were a few chapters told from Josh's POV and, though Demetrios excels at capturing the male voice and distinguishing Josh's narrative from that of Skylar's, I didn't find every insight into his mind to be completely necessary. I felt as if Demetrios gained traction with Josh's perspective as the novel wore on and, by the end, I really loved being in his mind and felt closer to him as a result but, like all good things in this novel, it took awhile. I'll Meet You There is only Demetrios's sophomore contemporary piece and, with only three books under her belt, she writes like a seasoned author; confident, willing to take risks, and able to gauge the direction that the genre she writes in needs to go. Each one of her novels have been original and enticing, filled with characters I can get behind and a style of prose so impressive I wish to imitate it myself. Needless to say, with I'll Meet You There Demetrios as only secured her spot as one of my favorite authors and, no matter what she chooses to write next, I know that I will both buy, and love, it.

15 comments:

  1. Wow! That good? Ok I am curious now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keertana! I am so excited for this one seeing as I absolutely loved Something Real, so your review has gotten me even more excited than I already was - if that's even possible!

    The romance sounds absolutely fantastic and well-developed, and the characters sound so relatable, flaws and all.

    Thanks for sharing and, as always, brilliant review - just like you! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reviews have been all over the place so far, but I suspect it has something to do with that slow ending you mention. I have endless patience when a good story is being built so I know for a fact it won't bother me in the least. This is coming up on my reviewin schedule and I'm more excited about it than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't the best characters the one that walk the line between likeable and unlikeable, though? :) I enjoy characters that are completely likeable but the ones who walk those lines are the ones that I remember for a long time afterwards and think of from time to time. I guess it's just because none of us humans are perfectly likeable, we can be little shits (and often are) but we also have those positive qualities :)

    I love the sound of the romance in this novel as well :) I love the idea of watching a relationship develop so sweetly!

    I am so glad you enjoyed this book, Keertana!

    Gorgeous review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to read another of Heather's book and now I ant to read this one too! I like characters who have positive and negative qualities, they're much more realistic, right?

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have wanted to read one of her books and I do think this one will be one of them. This sounds like a good character driven book and I love flawed characters. Yep, it's going on the wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was my first read by Demetrios, but I totally understand what you're saying about her writing, she is such a talented author. I loved the characters that she created in the story and how she was able to create such a powerful read. I am definitely looking forward to reading more from her soon! Fab review Keertana

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a new one for sure. It would be interesting to see how contained anger from both characters come through in the novel. I mean, I'm supposing there's a lot of anger from both considering their situations.

    Great review, Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read anything by this author, but I've been curious about Something Real for awhile now. This sounds just as great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous review, K! I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on I'll Meet You There - so many beautiful reviews for such a beautiful book.

    I agree, Heather Demetrios really has a way with words. I love that, stylistically, I'll Meet You There and Something Real are SO different, yet I love them both equally. It shows just as masterful she is.

    Skylar and Josh are characters I've come to really miss. I want more of them, so bad. They are flawed individuals but so loveable too. I feel like I know them as I would any friends in real life.

    Thank you for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gaaah Keertana, I LOVE your reviews, especially when you talk about a book you loved. I'LL MEET YOU THERE was no exception! I'm so excited to feel all the things from Demetrios (I have yet to read a book by her!). And I love that Skylar and Josh are not black & white characters--they've got the gray, too. It seems like Demetrios is already a very strong writer, and I'm more than pumped to see even the secondary characters well-fleshed out. Beautiful review, Keertana, I'm so glad this one didn't disappoint you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds wonderful, Keertana! I love it when an author makes me feel and it sounds like you have a whole range of situations and characters to do just that. I went and requested this book after reading this! Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was so much better than I expected! I liked how the characters were both likeable and unlikeable. It really did give them so much dimension. And the ending was great. Usually I need my HEA but this worked so well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mate, you are such a compelling reviewer! You have a great way with words and manage to capture the book and your experiences with it as a reader so well! I am most definitely looking forward to this book (I've got it on reserve at my library and it honestly cannot come in soon enough).

    Hope you're having a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.